Slow Cooker French Onion Soup30 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 4 hr 35 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 5 min
“This is a ridiculously easy soup, especially since it cooks in a slow cooker! When it's been simmering all day, you come home to an amazing aroma and a fabulous meal for a cold winter day.” - by Chandrav
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir onions until they become translucent, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle onions with sugar; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and browned, at least 30 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir sherry into onion mixture and scrape bottom of pot to dissolve small bits of browned food from the pot. Transfer onions into a slow cooker and pour in beef broth. Season to taste with sea salt; stir in thyme and bay leaf. Cover cooker, set on High, and cook 4 to 6 hours. If desired, set on Low and cook 8 to 10 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, set oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread slices until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Combine Gruyere, Emmental, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses in a bowl, tossing lightly. Fill oven-safe soup crocks 3/4 full of onion soup and float a bread slice in each bowl. Top with about 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture per serving.
- Place filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil until cheese topping is lightly browned and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 250 cal
- 14.7 g
- 17.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (30)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent! I followed this recipe to the letter (with the exception of substituting the Gruyere and Emmental with provolone and Swiss) and the soup was to weep for. The smell drove us mad all day long..." See more: it was hard to wait 8 hrs! Thanks for the recipe!"
"This is a great recipe. I couldn't find Emmental so I subbed in Swiss. If you put the bread right in the soup it kind of soaks it up and turns soggy so you can coop that right up with your spoon alo..." See moreng with the soup - or, if you don't like soggy bread you can not do that. The bread is definitely key, though."
Restaurant-Style French Onion Soup
Beef Short Rib French Onion Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.