Bacon and Caramelized Onion Rolls14 Reviews
- Prep: 55 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 50 min
“These homemade yeast rolls with bacon, caramelized onions, and smoked Cheddar cheese will take center stage on the dinner table.” - by Fleischmann's®
Original recipe yields 12 rolls
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a large mixer bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy. Add salt, oil and 1 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a well greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, cook bacon in large skillet until just browned but not crispy. Drain well and crumble or chop into small pieces. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are lightly caramelized. Add Port wine and cook until very little liquid remains. Set aside to cool.
- Punch dough down. Roll into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread onions over dough and then sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Roll dough up from long side, jelly roll style. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 equal slices.
- Place each slice in a greased muffin pan, cut side up. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 234 cal
- 12.4 g
- 20.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"What a beautiful and delicious roll! As much as they sound time consuming, these rolls were fast, easy and addicting. The dough was easy to work with, which is always a plus. I may have added a littl..." See moree more filling than it called for, but otherwise I kept everything the same. A definite keeper!"
"I have found my Christmas morning rolls! These are delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and they came out perfect. I got 16 sweet caramelized onion (canned by DH), bacon and cheese rolls. Each ing..." See moreredient you can taste distinctly. And, goodness you can eat with one hand. These would be great for breakfast. I served with Chicken noodle soup from this site. I am just learning to make breads and rolls using yeast and this recipe turned out fabulous in taste and texture. I will be making these for many meals. I also think it would be easy to tweak. How about cranberries, swiss cheese and toasted or candied walnuts? Yeah, think I'll try that."
PAMELA D. aPROpos of nothing
"Went a little different with this idea. I didn't have Port so I subbed Marsala. Added a good pinch of Italian seasoning with the onions. Intended to use 6 cheese Italian blend but rolled and cut and r..." See moreealized I forgot the cheese (sitting right in front of me) so sprinkled some on top instead."
Classic Cinnamon Rolls
1-Dish Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.