Italian Tomato Gravy0 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 11 hr
- Ready In: 11 hr 30 min
“This is my versatile Italian tomato gravy recipe. It goes great with spaghetti and meatballs as well on pizza.” - by chefsquig
Original recipe yields 32 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place 1 cup red wine, olive oil, beef neck bones, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and black pepper in a roasting pan; stir to coat.
- Roast neck bones and vegetable mixture in the preheated oven until vegetables are tender, 1 hour. Stir in about 2 tablespoons red wine while scraping any browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan. Roast until vegetables are browned, about 30 more minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a 16-quart soup pot over medium-low heat; simmer for 30 minutes. Add tomato paste, plum tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano, and parsley; stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces, 8 hours.
- Remove neck bones from sauce; scrape marrow out of bones. Add marrow to sauce and simmer until dissolved, 1 to 2 more hours.
- Transfer sauce to a blender in batches, filling blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree until smooth.
Amount Per Serving (32 total)
- 63 cal
- 2 g
- 9.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Nana's Slow Cooked Meaty Tomato Sauce
Tommy's Tomato Gravy
Just swipe to see more like this.