Calypso Bars2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“A chocolate date bar. My childhood memories of holidays included these bars from my mother's friend Bernie. Wonderfully rich.” - by lynnielyn
Original recipe yields 30 small bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x10-inch baking pan.
- Cook and stir dates, chocolate, water, white sugar, and 1/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until melted and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Beat brown sugar and 3/4 cup butter together in a bowl until creamy. Add oats, flour, walnuts, baking soda, and salt; stir until texture is crumbly.
- Press half the oat mixture into bottom of the prepared pan. Evenly spread chocolate-date mixture over oat mixture layer; crumble remaining oat mixture over chocolate-date layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cut into 30 small squares.
Amount Per Serving (30 total)
- 222 cal
- 10.3 g
- 32.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Delicious! I had been wanting to make these since the picture was posted. The only change I made was to use brewed coffee in the date/chocolate mixture instead of water. Loved these!..." See more"
"Finding a large bag of dates in my cupboard, I set out to find something to make with them. Finding this recipe and discovering that the dates were mixed with chocolate, I thought my family would lik..." See moree them as they are not huge date fans. I made as directed, but changed the pan size to 11 x 7 because I did not have an 8 x 10 pan. I also made half the pan with walnuts and the other half without for my son. The results were a nice chewy bar with a crunchy topping. I thoroughly enjoyed the end results, but I love dates. The guys liked them, but kept asking what the middle layer was. I told them “chocolate” but they knew there was something else in there. I just kept them guessing. I thought they were repeat worthy, the guys said “once is enough”."
Date Bars II
Caramel Apple Bars I
Just swipe to see more like this.