Al's Baked Swiss Steak8 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 5 min
“This is a variation on another recipe, which is great as is, but I couldn't make Swiss steak without green peppers or garlic. I also season the meat instead of the flour; it gets a more intense taste that way.” - by Al K
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Cut steak into four portions and pound to 1/4-inch thickness; season with salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. Coat meat evenly with about 1 tablespoon flour.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook beef in hot oil until browned completely, 3 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to prepared baking dish reserving drippings in the skillet.
- To the drippings, add tomatoes, onion, green bell pepper, beef broth, carrots, celery, garlic, 1 tablespoon flour, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the meat in the baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake until beef is completely tender, about 90 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over beef and return to oven uncovered until cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 313 cal
- 20 g
- 15.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"With 2 minor changes - ie left out the Lawrey's seasoned salt and the shredded cheese - this turned out marvelous. With 1 pound of beef this easily made 4 servings with fantastic results. Loved it...." See more"
"I added a 28oz can of tomatoes since I had more meat than recipe originally called for. I also added more carrots, left out celery since we don't care for it and didn't bother with the cheese. Pretty ..." See moregood."
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
Just swipe to see more like this.