Quick Homestyle Chicken and Biscuits3 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This is my mother-in-law's recipe that has become a favorite in our house! Perfect for those chilly winter days.” - by sanhym
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper and place into the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken and chop. Reserve water in saucepan.
- Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken bouillon cubes, and bay leaves into the water and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Return chicken to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl until smooth and stir mixture into the simmering soup until soup has thickened, about 1 minute.
- Pour soup into a 9x9-inch casserole dish and top with biscuits. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley into melted butter. Brush biscuits with seasoned butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 341 cal
- 11.3 g
- 46.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I was really expecting the liquid to turn thicker like a gravy. I'm not sure why I thought that. It was still completely liquid. The flavor was good. Because it was so liquid, I cooked the biscuits se..." See moreparately. Once they were cooked, we put some of the chicken mixture over the top strained. Then we ladled some of the liquid over the top. Not much. The best part for me was the biscuits. I would have never thought to add something to give them extra flavor. They were very tasty!"
"Perfect for a cold night. Great comfort food. Instead of water and bouillon, I used homemade chicken broth. Sauteed the chicken instead of boiling in the water to give it more flavor. For 2, I cut..." See more the recipe in half and used individual casseroles. Cut biscuits in quarters and topped the chicken mixture."
"This recipe tasted good, it just didn't turn out like I expected. I doubled the amounts for the soup because I wanted to make it in a 9x13 pan. I think I may have added too much water or not enough co..." See morernstarch, or maybe it was the recipe itself, because the soup didn't thicken up at all. I ended up straining most of the broth out and just putting the veggies and chicken in the pan with a little of the broth. (Although I did save the broth I strained out and am going to freeze it for later use, good homemade chicken stock.) Then when I baked it, I used grands biscuits, and they started getting too brown on top before they were cooked on the bottom. So I had to take the biscuits off and bake them, doughy side up, on a separate pan. I don't know how to solve that problem. Sorry, I probably won't try this recipe again, it tasted good, but it just didn't turn out quite right."
Chef John's Chicken and Biscuits
Quick and Easy Chicken Divan
Just swipe to see more like this.