Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup!5 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is an easy-to-make recipe from my Hungarian mother. No stock, no bouillon, and some peppercorn and parsnip are used for a bit of bite. If you don't have a metal tea-ball or herb bag, you can seal the peppercorn in a piece of cheesecloth tied with some kitchen twine. This way we get all of the pepper and none of the hassle. Keep noodles and soup separate until serving. If you mix the noodles in with the broth, they will get soggy and overcooked. If you have leftovers, store the noodles and soup separate or make a new batch of noodles the next day.” - by Balazs
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place chicken and whole onion into the bottom of a large pot. Pour enough water over the chicken to cover completely. Put peppercorns in a metal tea ball; add to the pot.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the chicken until no longer pink and is falling off the bone, 40 to 60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove chicken from the broth with a slotted spoon to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- Remove the onion and give it a squeeze to get as much of the flavor as possible. Discard the onion.
- Stir carrots, parsnips, and celery into the broth; bring to a boil and cook vegetables until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard peppercorns.
- While the vegetables boil, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain. Divide between 6 soup bowls.
- Remove meat from chicken and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size chunks and stir into vegetable mixture with parsley. Season with salt. Ladle soup over noodles to serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 823 cal
- 46.5 g
- 71.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"this is the recipe i've been looking for! i knew it as soon as i saw it. it says home made and it means it. nothing packaged or frozen goes into this one...." See more"
"This was a very tasty meal! my hubby and all 3 kids loved it(: I didnt add the parsnips( not my fav) but everything else was delicious! keeper for sure!..." See more"
"Easy and quick but more to the point - delicious! Everyone had seconds, and believe me, that is huge in my family! I didn't use the parsnip only because I forgot to buy some - soup was still plenty t..." See moreasteful. There is no salt added to this recipe so if you are watching your sodium, this soup is plenty flavorful as is!"
Awesome Chicken Noodle Soup
Rosemary Chicken Noodle Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.