Cheater Pierogi4 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 10 min
“Whether you're an old pro or brand new to the joys of pierogi, I hope you give these easy, cheesy dumplings a try.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 50 pierogi
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and onions; cook and stir until the bacon is crisp and the onions are browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove bacon and onions to a small dish, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat for frying the pierogi.
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in 1 egg and farmer's cheese. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water in a bowl for the egg wash.
- Place 2 to 3 wonton wrappers at a time on a lightly floured work surface. Brush the edges lightly with the egg wash. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold each pierogi in half and lightly press the edges together to seal.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pierogi in the boiling water until they float, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer pierogi to the skillet with reserved bacon drippings in batches and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl, toss with the bacon and onions, and serve garnished with sour cream and chives.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 524 cal
- 30.7 g
- 37.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"So easy! Ok so I didn't follow the potato filling recipe, but I did use wonton wrappers and it works great! I used about 2 teaspoons filling and crimped the edges with egg white. I boiled them 2-4 m..." See moreinutes then let them cool completely. I froze them and sauted them when needed in butter and they are excellent (similar to store frozen perogies). very good!"
"I tried this and these were great! reminded me of my grandma :> Making these again this weekend, yummmm!..." See more"
Pierogi (Polish Dumplings)
Just swipe to see more like this.