Scalloped Carrots5 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“Easy, tasty, customizable, you can do ahead of time...I could go on... If you want to mix it up, substitute a little sweet potato for some of the carrots. It is very tasty! Instead of 1/2 cup butter, you can use 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons vegetable or seed oil. Instead of 2 cups milk, you can use 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken stock.” - by MattyHam
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Place carrots into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the melted butter until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt. Whisk flour into onion mixture until smooth; cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is a paste-like consistency and light brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium; gradually stream milk into flour mixture until thick and bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Whisk Cheddar cheese, about 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring until cheese melts each time before adding more, forming a smooth sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in mustard powder, white pepper, celery seed, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour sauce over carrots and toss to coat; transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter and bread crumbs together in a bowl until well coated; sprinkle over carrot mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is bubbling and topping is browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 304 cal
- 20.5 g
- 20.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"I loved this. I didn't follow the recipe exactly, and used carrots and a sweet potato, but the method is great! Definitely a keeper......" See more"
"This was soooo good and also tasted great as a leftover. It is the perfect fall dish and we might even make this to share for Thanksgiving this year...." See more"
"First I'll say what I did differently..... I used Velveeta (8 oz) as the cheese. I was out of celery seed. Also, I have never liked recipes that say 2 potatoes or 4 carrots. I prefer defined measureme..." See morents like a half cup or 6 oz or whatever. That being said, this recipe was very good. I went to the farmer's market and bought about 7 large carrots (just over 2 pounds - they were LARGE carrots) and I think it could have used more. So my only recommendation for this recipe - don't skimp on the carrots, the recipe makes a lot of sauce.Next time I will try at least 3 or maybe 4 pounds of carrots."
Sauteed Carrots and Leeks
Baked Zesty Carrots
Just swipe to see more like this.