Butternut Squash Casserole342 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This recipe is in great demand from my friends and family. It tastes similar to sweet potato souffle, with a custard-like texture. Use with any meal that sweet potatoes seem to go with (for example, ham, pork, etc). Yum yum!!!” - by VPMSAVGA
Original recipe yields 15 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Put butternut squash in the microwave and cook on high, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and cube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish combine 3 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and 1/4 cup melted margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.
- In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine and brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole and return to oven to brown.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 320 cal
- 13.5 g
- 48.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (342)Rate This Recipe
"I like this recipie, but made a few changes as suggested by others... Instead of microwaving and then boiling, I cut in half, scooped out seeds and baked in oven halved side down until soft. Blended..." See more in a blender to make smooth puree. Used a 1/2 C Splenda, added 1tsp Cinnamon and 1/2tsp Nutmeg. For a topping I used 1/4C brown sugar, 1/8C butter and 2C Honey Bunches of Oats cereal (as suggested by another to use cornflakes, I used what I had on hand and loved the result). Will definately make again."
"I love butternut squash and this is a great recipe to get started with. I've made this recipe many times and have made many modifications. First of all, I like to roast the squash rather than boilin..." See moreg it. I just cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and roast it at 375 for 45 min-1 hour. It is easier to just scoop out the cooked sqaush than peel the skin off the little chunks. This does take longer, but in my opinion, it is much easier. I also add cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger which adds a nice flavor. The last thing that I change is that instead of the suggested topping, I use chopped pecans."
"I am a newlywed and havne't done much cooking. I have prepared this for Thanksgiving ahead of time. I have never cooked butternut squash before so I didn't know that after you cook the squash that yo..." See moreu are supposed to scoop the inside out of the "rind". I found that out after I mashed it up and it was still hard. I spent a good hour trying to pick the rind out of the mashed squash. It would be helpful if the reicpe mentioned that step for new cooks!"
Butternut Squash Bisque
Sweet Butternut Squash Muffins
Just swipe to see more like this.