Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes5 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“A great 'surprise' in the middle of these delicious treats. Makes a great classroom treat for your birthday child, especially for the kids that LOVE the frosting and usually just lick it off the top. Use food coloring for various holidays for an even bigger surprise.” - by Dr. Brenda
Original recipe yields 2 dozen cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12-cup muffin tins.
- Sift flour, 2 cups white sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Beat vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into the flour mixture using an electric hand mixer on medium until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Stir baking soda and hot water together in a small bowl; mix into batter. Pour batter into muffin cups to 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat shortening, 1/2 cup white sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl using an electric hand mixer until smooth, 5 to 7 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until fully incorporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Insert frosting into cupcakes using a pastry tube fitted with a rosette tip. Frost the tops of cupcakes with remaining frosting.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 284 cal
- 15.6 g
- 34.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"These are great! I've been baking for years, but never made cupcakes from scratch. This was great! I was out of milk, so I substituted buttermilk and I always add a pinch of cinnamon to all things c..." See morehocolate to bring out the flavor. I didn't know when to fill the cupcakes with cream, so I let them cool for about 5 minutes then filled with the cream. Yum!"
"I wouldn't recommend this recipe as it is. Instead of using 2/3 cup of shortening, I would use 1/3 cup shortening and 1/3 cup butter. I would also increase the confectioners sugar to 1 cup and the w..." See morehite sugar to 1 cup. The frosting I made from the original recipe tasted very greasy and was not sweet enough."
Chocolate Beer Cupcakes With Whiskey Filling And Irish Cream Icing
Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
Just swipe to see more like this.