Macaroni and Cheese with Sausage and Pears2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“I developed this recipe from a basic mac-n-cheese recipe, adding pears which go well with the sharp Cheddar. For the sausage, we like Aidell's® Chicken and Apple or Roasted Garlic Gruyere sausages. They are fully cooked and very flavorful! To use as a side dish, leave out the sausage.” - by ShirleyB
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain macaroni and transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onions in the melted butter until partially translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour until paste-like consistency, 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly stream in milk, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is incorporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese until completely melted and and sauce has thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour cheese sauce into macaroni; stir to coat. Season with black pepper. Stir in sausage.
- Reserve 4 slices of pears; dice remaining pear slices and stir into macaroni mixture. Arrange the reserved slices atop macaroni mixture.
- Stir 2 tablespoons melted butter and bread crumbs together in a small bowl; sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and topping is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 443 cal
- 24.4 g
- 36.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.