Fresh Apple Cake by MeMom4 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 20 min
“I store my cake in a plastic cake carrier turned upside down. The icing will run off, therefore a regular cake plate will not work unless you have one with high sides. This cake is much better the day after. It is so very moist. It is even better if you put your slice in the microwave for 10 seconds to just have it warm. My family would disown me if I did not have this cake for holiday get-togethers. Nothing better with a cup of coffee.” - by GA Hole In 1 GAL
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a fluted tube pan.
- Mix 3 cups all-purpose flour, white sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, salt, cloves, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs in a separate large bowl; add vegetable oil, buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture; stir together with a large spoon. Fold apples and pecans into batter. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 60 to 75 minutes. Cool cake in pan.
- Cook and stir margarine and brown sugar together in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons flour; stir constantly until combined. Stir in milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Cook and stir until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a plastic cake carrier or container; poke holes over entire cake using a knife. Pour hot icing over entire cake. Pour any remaining icing into the center of the cake. The icing will absorb into the cake overnight.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 745 cal
- 38.1 g
- 95.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This was a hit! I regularly make dessert for a friend's card club and after at least two years of baking for them, this was their favorite. The cake was moist and flavorful but the icing is truly what..." See more separates this from all other apple cakes. Almost like German Chocolate cake icing without the pecans and coconut. I followed the directions except I always add a little extra vanilla. Firm Golden delicious apples were used. Highly recommend!"
"I've made this recipe twice exactly as printed and our family had the same reaction twice. The cake was okay (nothing special), but the "frosting" was awful. It kind of tasted like diluted sweetened p..." See moreaste. I've deleted this one from my recipe box."
Fresh Apple Cake II
Cranberry Apple Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.