Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies19 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“These taste just like Loft House sugar cookies and are just as soft.” - by budicheeks
Original recipe yields 3 dozen cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat vegetable shortening, white sugar, 1/4 cup milk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Slowly beat flour mixture into shortening mixture to make a smooth dough.
- Roll dough out 1/4-inch thick on a floured work surface and cut into shapes. Arrange cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons milk in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frosting is spreadable and slightly fluffy. Frost cooled cookies.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 166 cal
- 7.4 g
- 23.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"Mmm-mm-mm! As this recipe's first reviewer I can happily report that it is a winner! These are soft pillows of sugar cookie goodness, frosted with the most luxurious creamy, billowy buttercream. Me..." See morelt in your mouth, not too sweet and pretty too. Perfect in my mind. Except… it’s a good thing that rolling out sugar cookies isn’t my thing and I had planned to roll these into balls and flatten them all along. This dough is so soft and so gooey that there is no way you could roll it out if you follow the recipe as written. And, since the dough is made with shortening, refrigerating it would do nothing to firm it up. If you are hell bent on rolling these out, you’ll have to add more flour. A better option? Just roll these into about 1” balls, roll in sugar, then flatten to about 1/4” with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. For soft cookies, bake until set but before they begin to turn brown around the edges."
"Definitely a keeper. For the comments the batter was too sticky, I put in it the fridge for about 30 minutes. Stiffened it up and the rolling was easy. Thank you!..." See more"
"Great cookie! Pillowy soft! I used butter instead of shortening, decreased the salt to a half tsp. and used half of the frosting. I agree with the previous reviewer that these cookies are way to stick..." See morey to roll, so I used a round cookie scoop and dropped them directly onto the cookie sheet. My cookie scoop was quite large so I baked them for 14 minutes while not over baking! They were not at all flat and looked beautiful after frosting and topping with fall sprinkles."
Soft Sugar Cookies IV
Michelle's Soft Sugar Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.