Swiss Cheese Green Bean Casserole1 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“When I make this special-occasion veggie dish, I am ALWAYS asked for the recipe. Fresh steamed green beans provide a contrast to decadent melted Swiss cheese and crunchy topping. A family holiday favorite throughout my extended family. You can prepare ahead of time, leaving 4 to 5 minutes to steam the green beans and add other ingredients. Put into oven right before serving dinner (we usually put it in while carving the turkey).” - by beanstalker
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add green beans, cover, and steam until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir 2 tablespoons butter, flour, onion, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat; gradually stir in sour cream. Cook and stir mixture until hot, thickened, and smooth, about 10 minutes. Add steamed green beans to the cream mixture. Pour green bean-cream mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish; sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- Mix corn flakes and 2 tablespoons butter in a bowl until well coated; sprinkle over Swiss cheese layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and topping is browned, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 343 cal
- 25.9 g
- 18.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"This is a wonderful recipe! I have been making for the holidays every year for about 30 years, my Aunt gave me this recipe, she got it from a friend in the late 40's, so it's been around a while!!! I ..." See morealways add a little more sugar to it and extra cheese. It always turns out great!"
French Onion Green Bean Casserole
Tim's Green Bean Casserole Extraordinaire
Just swipe to see more like this.