Christmas Morning Life Saver1 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“Mark and Lisa Bastiaansen, egg farmers in Arkona, Ontario, enjoy this layered egg casserole at Christmas and other times during the year.” - by Egg Farmers of Ontario
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Trim crusts from bread; reserve crusts. Cover bottom of greased 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish with slices of bread, trimming to fit if necessary. Cover with ham, then cheese. Top with another layer of bread.
- Whisk eggs. Add onion, green pepper, dry mustard, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco; whisk to combine. Whisk in milk. Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Meanwhile, pulse reserved crusts in food processor until coarsely chopped. Set aside 1-1/2 cups of the bread crumbs. (Remainder can be frozen for another use.)
- The next day, stir butter into bread crumbs until moistened. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over top of casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (180 degrees F) oven until puffed, set and golden brown, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 507 cal
- 25.6 g
- 41 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"... that should be 1/2 tsp. of dry mustard not 1/2 cup. With half a cup of dry mustard it could change the cook into a 'lifer' after all of the guests have died...." See more"
Potato, Egg and Green Bean Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.