General Tso's Whole Turkey2 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 3 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 12 hr 30 min
“A Chinese take on the holiday roast turkey. The sauce is a sweet and spicy flavorful glaze on the crispy skin of the turkey with a hint of orange and cranberry. The whole red peppers with green onions on the side add a festive touch. The dressing is a savory rice dressing with cranberries and nuts. Sure to become a year-round favorite. Garnish with whole dried red peppers and green onions along the side.” - by Seattle Charlette
Original recipe yields 1 whole turkey
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Toast dried red chiles in the hot oil until they turn dark red, about 2 minutes. Toss black pepper, 2 chopped green onions, light sesame oil, and 1 small chopped shallot into the hot oil; remove from heat.
- Blend cranberry sauce, turkey broth, soy sauce, orange juice, white vinegar, plum wine, ginger, garlic, and orange zest in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir toasted red pepper mixture into glaze. Divide glaze in half.
- Place turkey into a large basting bag and pour half the glaze over the turkey and into the cavity. Seal the bag and refrigerate turkey overnight.
- Dissolve cornstarch in the remaining half of the glaze and refrigerate in a covered container.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Remove turkey from marinade; discard the used marinade. Set turkey onto a rack inside a roasting pan.
- Mix white rice, wild rice, dried cranberries, walnuts, 2 small chopped green onions, 1 chopped shallot, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a bowl. Lightly stuff the turkey cavity with the rice mixture. Combine 1/3 cup vegetable oil with 1/3 cup sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
- Roast turkey in the preheated oven, basting with vegetable and sesame oil mixture every 15 minutes, until skin is browned and crisp, about 2 hours. Stir reserved glaze containing cornstarch thoroughly and baste turkey every 15 minutes until glaze has baked onto turkey and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads 165 degrees F (75 degrees C), 1 1/2 to 2 more hours.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 802 cal
- 43.6 g
- 23.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"My review is for the glaze alone as I did not make the dressing. I followed the ingredients exactly and used home made cranberry sauce. It was very tasty but did lack a bit of heat I was looking for..." See more. Will be making this again as I overlooked the orange zest and missed the *hint* of orange it would have added. I will also add some crushed red pepper to up the heat factor. I served over rice with fresh steamed broccoli. Whole family enjoyed it."
Herb-Glazed Roasted Turkey
Very Moist and Flavorful Roast Turkey
Just swipe to see more like this.