Spicy Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Fresh Arugula1 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is my slightly healthier and much spicier version of this yummy comfort food. I threw it together with the veggies I had on hand and it turned out delicious, so fiance asked me to save it in our rotation. We like everything pretty insanely spicy, so if you don't, just omit the habanero and serrano peppers.” - by tolunda
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; cook chicken in the hot skillet until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place broccoli in the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir flour into the melted butter until combined and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly; continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir onion, red bell pepper, serrano chile pepper, habanero pepper, and carrot into the sauce; simmer until vegetables are slightly softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the cooled chicken into cubes and sprinkle over broccoli. Pour sauce over chicken and broccoli.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon over sauce layer in the casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over mushroom layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler; broil casserole until topping is browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Spoon casserole into 4 bowls and sprinkle 1/4 cup arugula atop each serving.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 371 cal
- 16.9 g
- 20.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I created this meal the other day and I really enjoyed the outcome. The recipe does take about an hour or so all together but the end result was a tasty dish. The only thing I think I'd do diffent ..." See morewhen I make this again is I'm goign to make more sauce. For some reason, when I followed the recipe I didn't get enought sauce. I'm sure I did something incorrectly but it was a great meal."
Creamy Bow-Tie Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli
Broccoli Chicken Casserole I
Just swipe to see more like this.