Italian Frosted Chocolate Cookies1 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 9 hr 15 min
“I make these cookies each year at Christmas. They are a favorite of family and friends. This recipe makes approximately 120 cookies.” - by LMV5853
Original recipe yields 10 dozen cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and salt in a large bowl. Stir orange zest into flour mixture. Mix vegetable shortening and margarine into dry ingredients, using your hands, until mixture is crumbly.
- Beat eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl with an electric mixer until foamy; add egg mixture, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup milk to flour mixture and knead dough in the bowl until thoroughly combined and dough doesn't stick to your hands, about 8 minutes. Dough will be stiff. Knead cream cheese thoroughly into dough, followed by walnuts.
- Form dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and place onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool cookies on racks.
- Beat 3 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon orange juice, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl until smooth; gradually beat in remaining confectioners' sugar until frosting is thick and drizzles slowly from a spoon.
- Dip tops of cookies into frosting and place frosted cookies on racks with waxed paper underneath to catch drips. Let cookies dry overnight.
Amount Per Serving (120 total)
- 78 cal
- 2.7 g
- 12.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"these were by far the best cookies ever. the frosting was very rich an indulgent!!!!!!!..." See more"
Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Double Chocolate Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.