Church Supper Macaroni and Cheese0 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“It seems like there are endless recipe variations on macaroni and cheese; however my family is not a big fan of cheese sauce-based macaroni and cheese. It seems to dilute the cheese flavor. This simple but tasty recipe was given to me at a church supper in Terre Haute; it's old, definitely has German or Jewish (kugel?) roots. The secret is to use a good-quality EXTRA-SHARP Cheddar cheese.” - by garlic_in_a_windmill
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole with butter.
- Dissolve salt in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook macaroni, stirring often, until pasta is tender but still slightly firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Rinse macaroni under cool water, drain, and transfer to a bowl. Stir 1/4 cup softened butter into macaroni and toss a few times to melt butter and coat macaroni.
- Beat eggs in a bowl; whisk evaporated and condensed milks into eggs.
- Spread a layer of macaroni into the bottom of the prepared casserole; sprinkle with a layer of Cheddar cheese. Continue layering macaroni and cheese, ending with a layer of cheese on top. Pour egg-milk mixture over the layers. Use a fork to gently dig into the layers, assuring that the egg-milk mixture flows into all the layers. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook bread crumbs in the hot butter, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle crumb topping over casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is browned and bubbling, about 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 710 cal
- 47.2 g
- 40.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (0)Rate This Recipe
Best Mac 'N Cheese Ever!
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.