Syrup on the Bottom French Toast Casserole5 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 9 hr 10 min
“This is a make ahead brunch dish that makes it's own syrup. Since it's made the day before, it's the perfect holiday recipe!” - by Rebecca P.
Original recipe yields 1 9x13-inch casserole
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, 1/2 cup whole milk, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and syrup is smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour syrup into the prepared casserole dish.
- Arrange bread slices atop the syrup layer in the casserole dish.
- Whisk 2 1/2 cups milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; pour milk mixture over bread. Cover casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from casserole dish.
- Mix white sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl; sprinkle mixture over casserole. Cover casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking until casserole is cooked through and eggs are set, 25 to 30 minutes. The casserole will be syrupy, but should thicken as it cools.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 381 cal
- 17.4 g
- 50.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"I was hesitant to try this is as it had not yet been reviewed. The ingredients are ones everyone has on hand and its easy to prepare. The bread is the key and needs to be worked in to fit. This was th..." See moree perfect consistency and had just a touch of sweetness. 10 mins to prep and exactly 45 minutes cooking time. Excellent recipe."
mauigirl.. Intermediate not a
"I have tried several french toast casseroles on this site and they were always too sweet for our taste. Well I finally struck gold on this one.Did not change a thing either. Absolutely perfect! This w..." See moreill go into my repetoire for a make ahead company worthy breakfast casserole. Thanks so much for sharing."
Pear and Almond French Toast Casserole
Orange Marmalade French Toast Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.