Pulled Pork Pesto Sandwich2 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 3 hr 27 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 27 min
“These pulled pork sandwiches combine the best of Southern cooking with the flavors of Italy. Tender pork is combined with onions, peppers, mushrooms, and pesto sauce for filling sandwiches hearty enough for your biggest eaters!” - by Allrecipes
Original recipe yields 4 sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Combine kosher salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, 1/4 cup Italian seasoning, rosemary, granulated garlic, granulated onion, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, and lemon pepper together in a bowl.
- Place pork shoulder in a large roasting pan. Rub with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce on all sides and between any crevices. Sprinkle with kosher salt mixture and rub over all sides. Pour white wine, chicken stock, and 4 crushed garlic cloves into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Cover pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil and roast pork in the preheated oven until tender and a thermometer inserted reaches 200 degrees F (95 degrees C), 3 to 4 hours. Transfer pork to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly before pulling. Using two forks, shred the pork shoulder into bite-size pieces. Transfer meat to a large bowl and toss with some of the pan juices to keep it moist.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook and stir goat horn peppers, red bell pepper, onion, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper in the hot oil until onion softens and begins to turn golden, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, garlic basil spread, and Marsala wine and cook until wine has reduced and mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Mix pulled pork and pesto sauce into vegetables and heat through, about 10 minutes. Spoon pork mixture into hoagie buns and top each with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Place sandwiches onto a baking sheet and bake in the hot oven until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 5 minutes. Top with cherry tomatoes and basil.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 885 cal
- 50.3 g
- 52.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"I absolutely loved this recipe! I was cooking some pork (a huge amount) for another recipe and pulled some of it off to do this one. This one took a lot more steps than the other one, but oh boy was..." See more it worth it! I made half of this recipe as written with a couple of minor exceptions--had no lemon pepper, so just used a little zest and more pepper, no granulated onion so used fresh, chicken stock was from carcass of Roast Sticky Chicken, no goat horn peppers, so used red jalapenos. This was so very good! And it gave me a chance to use the beforehand unknown Garlic Basil Spread. Yum! I'll be doing this one again for sure!"
"Lots of steps and ingredients, but SOOO worth it. I followed the recipe to a T, except I didn't have granulated onion and garlic, so I used onion and garlic powder. It was delicious and extremely flav..." See moreorful. It was a tad too spicy for my husband so next time I might use a little less red pepper flakes, but I loved it as is. Will definitely be making this again!!! Thanks for the great recipe."
Sicilian Steak Sandwich
Carne Asada Sandwich
Just swipe to see more like this.