Chef John's Patatas Bravas9 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“These fried potatoes are fiercely textured, fiercely flavored, fiercely presented, and fiercely enjoyed. How fierce is really up to you and your inner Spaniard. There are as many patatas bravas recipes as homes in Spain, and this is nothing more than my latest rendition.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 Servings
- Combine garlic, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, and a pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle or food processor; process until smooth. Mix in mayonnaise, sherry vinegar, tomato paste, 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, and cayenne pepper until combined. Cover and refrigerate dipping sauce.
- Mix 1 tablespoon salt, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder together in a small bowl. Set spice blend aside.
- Pour water into a large saucepan and stir 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, cumin, and bay leaves into water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes into water-paprika mixture, bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are tender but not fully cooked, 4 to 5 minutes. The tip of a paring knife should easily insert into the center of a potato cube. Drain potatoes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Add cooled potato cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to cool slightly. Toss in a bowl with spice blend and serve with dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 678 cal
- 55.3 g
- 43.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"WOW muy delicioso! My fiance and I really enjoyed these patatas bravas! I was drooling waiting for them to finish, that's how amazing the kitchen smelled ;) Followed the recipe verbatim, it was quit..." See moree simple. I especially loved the dipping sauce (any excuse to use my mortar and pestle!!). Thanks John for sharing your recipe! Fierce!"
"Fantastic! Marvelous! Delicious! As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew my boyfriend would go absolutely crazy for them, so I made them for our Valentine's dinner. I made the sauce and the spice mix..." See more the night before, which worked out wonderfully on the busy day. I followed this to the letter, and I wouldn't change a thing about them- the flavor combination is out of this world, the spice level is just about perfect, the crispy, crunchy exterior is the perfect housing for the tender potato within. The sauce is just lovely, and would be wonderful on many things. I debated on buying yet another vinegar, but am so happy I did not try to substitute anything else for the sherry vinegar- it is worth it to buy yourself a bottle if you don't keep it on hand. My boyfriend thinks me a kitchen super star- we devoured these with gusto! Thanks Chef John!"
Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Chef John's Colcannon
Just swipe to see more like this.