Bobotie (South African Meatloaf)2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“Not your regular meatloaf! This sweet and savory loaf is enhanced with the textures of raisins and almonds and the spiciness of curry. Pleasantly different. If using high quality curry, use 1 1/2 tablespoons; most store bought curries are not as flavorful so use more. If looking for more sweetness, try adding apricot preserves or a fruit chutney.” - by Kerrijoi
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking dish.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in melted butter until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, oats, raisins, almonds, vinegar, curry powder, sugar, salt, turmeric, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add onions and ground beef; mix well. Spread the beef evenly into the prepared baking dish; top with bay leaves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain excess fat from the beef.
- Beat 1 egg and 1/4 cup milk together in a bowl; pour over the beef mixture.
- Continue baking in oven until the top is beginning to brown, about 30 minute more. Remove and discard bay leaves to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 399 cal
- 20.4 g
- 25.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"This was fantastic! Mild curry flavor that is balanced perfectly with the nuts and raisins. I used regular raisins since I didn't have golden raisins. Family loved it!..." See more"
Smokey Chipotle Meatloaf
Just swipe to see more like this.