Unhealthy Quinoa Mac and Cheese5 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“Take the health benefits of quinoa and override them with a ton of cheese. You won't regret it!” - by Dezzie
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Process cubed bread in a food processor to make bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add quinoa, chicken stock, and water to the skillet. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour; cook and stir to form a paste, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in skim milk. Season with salt and ground black pepper; simmer on low until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, a little at a time, until combined. Stir cheese sauce into quinoa mixture in the skillet.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until crumbs are toasted, about 2 minutes. Place tomato slices on top of quinoa; top with bread crumbs. Quinoa mixture will be soupy but will firm up during baking.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 629 cal
- 31.7 g
- 58.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"If you like the nutty quinoa flavor, you'll enjoy this decadent preparation...." See more"
"I followed the recipe except I did not put the bread crumbs or tomato on top. It really was delicious. Very cheesy and creamy. The only thing I will do different next time is make a half recipe. I..." See moret made a lot. Quinoa is much more filling than macaroni so our family of 3 barely ate a 3rd of it and we all had 2nd helpings."
Old School Mac n' Cheese
Three-Cheese Mac and Cheese Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.