Bob's Stuffed Banana Peppers176 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“This is an awesome recipe for banana peppers stuffed with an Italian sausage mixture and baked in a delicious tomato sauce. We get requests to make them for the guys my husband works with all the time.” - by LISAPAV
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cut off tops of peppers, and remove ribs and seeds. Chop edible portions of tops; set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet. Saute reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic. Season with basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan. Mix in hot sausage, mild sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture.
- Using a piping bag or sausage stuffer, fill each pepper with the meat mixture. Place in a 3 quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 593 cal
- 42.5 g
- 28.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (176)Rate This Recipe
"I made this recipe with some slight alterations to save time and it is GREAT!!! #1, for the filling I only buy 1# of hot sausage and cut it in half while still in the package and I freeze the other ha..." See morelf in a ziplock bag for next time. Next I add 1 egg, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and a cup of breadcrumbs. This much stuffing will fill about a dozen medium sized peppers. The recipe's filling is for WAY more than 8 peppers, so it's better to cut it in half. I still clean and boil the pebbers for 5 minutes and once they're stuffed, I put them in a casserole dish and cover them with purchased spaghetti sauce and bake. When done I cover with shredded mozzarella cheese. It's WONDERFUL!"
"I'm pleased to report I've tried this recipe and made with only a few changes. Since I had a lot of garden tomatoes, those were used rather than the canned. I added approx. 2 tbs. sugar to the tomat..." See moreoes. Also, after baking approx. 40 minutues I covered with shredded mozarella then continued baking. Before I bake this next time, I'll try cooking the sausage first and delete the grease that accumulates in the dish after baking. This, of course, will require less baking time. I'll also add some Italian Seasoning to the tomato sauce mixture. This is a keeper."
Cajun Style Stuffed Peppers
Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Just swipe to see more like this.