Chef John's Twice-Baked Potatoes12 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr
“When entertaining guests on special occasions, don't forget that you're putting on a show with the food. And, when it comes to starchy side dishes, these potatoes are a great way to express flair for the dramatic.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub potatoes with vegetable oil and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a paring knife easily inserts into the center of a potato, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool until easy to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Cut 1/3 off each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh from each potato to within about 1/8-inch of the skins. Transfer flesh to a bowl.
- Combine potato flesh with butter and green onion; stir until butter is melted evenly into potato. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Pour cream and egg yolk into potato mixture; mix to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Place small piece of potato skin inside the bottom of each larger potato shell. Fill each potato with an equal amount of cheese mixture. Gently press the surface of the filling with a fork to create texture. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake stuffed potatoes until golden brown on top, 20 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 581 cal
- 31 g
- 66.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"I love this technique for cutting the tops and stuffing these spuds. The Paprika on top gives these a nice colorful touch. I had to leave the egg yolk out - due to allergy concerns - I just added a ..." See morespoon of sour cream to help hold it all together. Can be made ahead. Very nice presentation."
"These potatoes were very flavorful with the green onion mixed in. I chose this recipe because I was out of sour cream and this recipe doesn't call for it. And you don't miss it. I did add a little ..." See moregarlic salt for extra flavor, and I used yellow cheddar as I did not have white. I like that the section sliced off the top is used inside the shell. No waste! Will definitely make again."
"This is so easy. I always thought twice baked potatoes looked nice, but I didn't know how easy they were to make. I wish I would have had some chives to go on top of these, that would have made them p..." See moreerfect! I'm keeping this recipe for sure. It is something I think you can tailor to suit multiple occasions and dishes."
Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Sheryl's Baked Potatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.