Perfect Crispy Fried Chicken3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 13 hr 10 min
“After searching high and low for a recipe that is tasty but very crispy, this was created from taking various recipe finds and merging them. The secret is in the cornmeal/flour mixture, as well as the cast-iron skillet.” - by arthurfl99
Original recipe yields 3 servings
- Place chicken drumsticks and thighs in a bowl and pour enough buttermilk over chicken to cover. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, granulated onion, granulated garlic, thyme, salt, paprika, monosodium glutamate, baking powder, and cayenne pepper in a large, wide bowl.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and shake off excess. Discard buttermilk. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Dip chicken into egg whites and press into flour mixture. Allow coated chicken to rest on a wire rack for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Fill a cast-iron skillet or deep fryer with vegetable oil about 1/3 full. Heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Fry chicken in hot oil in batches until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Thighs may take longer to fry than drumsticks. Transfer fried chicken to a wire rack or a paper towel-lined tray to drain. Keep chicken warm in preheated oven while frying remaining pieces.
Amount Per Serving (3 total)
- 767 cal
- 38.7 g
- 46.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Everyone just loved this chicken. It got rave reviews at dinner. I made the recipe exactly as posted with one exception. I did not use the MSG. thank you so much for posting the recipe...." See more"
"Very good chicken. The cornmeal adds a nice crunch. Just had to make sure to shake off all the excess breading. We will be making this again for sure!..." See more"
Crispy Fried Chicken
Crispy Fried Chicken Wings
Just swipe to see more like this.