Brown Rice and Vegetable Risotto2 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“While the nature of brown rice means that this dish will take longer to cook than standard risotto, it is well worth the wait. Feel free to adapt the recipe according to whatever seasonal produce is available to you.” - by Carla
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Bring vegetable broth and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add asparagus, reduce heat to low, and simmer until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water; let chill for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, cover saucepan and keep broth mixture at a near-simmer on low heat.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring gently, until toasted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of the hot broth mixture into the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost absorbed. Adjust heat if necessary to maintain a simmer. Repeat, using 1/2 cup liquid at a time, until rice is just beginning to become tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in diced carrots. Continue adding broth and stirring rice mixture until carrots are just tender, about 20 minutes more. Mix in zucchini; if broth mixture gets low, add hot water as needed. Cook and stir, adding broth, until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in drained asparagus and peas and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes, Add Parmesan and butter, stirring until butter melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour in an additional 1/2 cup hot broth to the finished risotto for a softer consistency, if desired.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 322 cal
- 10.7 g
- 47.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"The cooking til tender, actually took me 80 minutes! That is 80 minutes of stirring and standing at the stove.! Even though I cut my veggies up (except the onion that I started with) in between stirr..." See moreing , that is still a long time! But I was determined to make healthier *brown* rice risotto. I also had to use over 12 cups of liquid instead of the 10 the recipe called for. I changed 1 cup of that to white wine to add more flavor . And ,7 cups was broth and the remaining water. The result was a delicious veggie risotto that I *might* make again if I pull up a chair and call my favorite chatty friend.. haha..."
"This recipe took a very long time to make but was pretty good. The smell is FANTASTIC, the first few bites were delicious, but the more I ate it, the more I got tired of the taste. I paired it with ri..." See moretz crackers and a tarty drink & it balanced the flavor out. It is more suited as a side. Also, this is waaay more than six servings. I think I served myself two and it was less that 1/6 of the entire recipe."
Avocado Sushi with Brown Rice
Brown Rice and Quinoa Sushi Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.