Soft Homemade Pretzels3 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“Fun to make.” - by Pam
Original recipe yields 1 dozen pretzels
- Stir yeast into 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; beat in flour, sugar, shortening, and salt to make a dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a rope 18 to 20 inches long.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Shape each rope of dough into a pretzel on the prepared baking sheet; let pretzels rest for 5 minutes. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and brush yolk mixture over each pretzel; sprinkle each with coarse salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pretzels are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 158 cal
- 1.8 g
- 30.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I have perfected this recipe already. My recipe changes are as follows. I do not use shortening at all. Another tip to better pretzels is heat a pot of boiling water. I use an upside down cookie s..." See moreheet with paper and after the dough raises I put the Pretzels in a bath of boiling water and baking soda for about 10 to 30 seconds. Then I put them on the parchment paper and brush them with egg whites and salt them and bake at a higher temperature of 425 to really get a crunchy and chewy pretzel."
"Two things: 1. For me, the amount of flour is excessive, so I would only add a little as I go otherwise I believe you will end up with a very stiff, unworkable dough. 2. The baking time was much mo..." See morere than listed on the recipe, so adjust the time according to your oven as every oven is different. But, having said that, how could you not enjoy homemade pretzels?"
Buttery Soft Pretzels
Soft Pretzels I
Just swipe to see more like this.