Strawberry Cupcakes with Lemon Zest Cream Cheese Icing3 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“This was an experiment gone amazing! My seven-year-old and I baked these and agree that they are the best cupcakes. It's a simple strawberry cake mix with a little extra zest.” - by hungry816
Original recipe yields 14 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 14 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- To make strawberry puree, pulse frozen strawberries in blender or food processor until evenly chopped. Add 2 tablespoons water, honey, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, and sugar. Blend until smooth.
- Beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened; increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Beat lemon zest into batter. Fill prepared cupcake cups 2/3 full. Drop a spoonful of strawberry puree into the center of each portion of cupcake batter.
- Bake cupcakes in preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 18 to 22 minutes. A toothpick inserted near the center should come out clean. Let cupcakes cool for at least 30 minutes.
- To make icing, place cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in confectioners' sugar; blend in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Refrigerate icing until cupcakes are cool enough to frost. Frost cooled cupcakes with icing.
Amount Per Serving (14 total)
- 392 cal
- 20.2 g
- 50.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"Thank you for the yummy recipe! I am used to baking cupcakes at a little higher temp. I like the results of a lower temp. The tops are flat instead of a rounded dome. These really melt in your mouth a..." See morend the puree inside is a nice little surprise! Thanks again!"
"I agree with the other reviewer who said that the filling ended up more like a mushy pit at the bottom. It just didn't seem to work as I expected it to. Next time, I would skip the filling and just ad..." See mored the pureed strawberries to the cake mix to amp up the strawberry flavor. Other than that, the recipe was great. The cupcakes were super moist and I loved the addition of the lemon to the cream cheese frosting. Delicious!"
"My daughter requested strawberry cupcakes for her birthday so I gave this recipe a try. I looked at two large grocery stores and neither one had strawberry cake mix, so I used a "rainbow" mix instead...." See more I puréed some additional strawberries and added them to the mix in place of water. That was the only change I made. I was able to fill 20 muffin cups with batter and they needed to bake 22-25 minutes before they were done. They were a lot less pink than the one in the photo and the strawberry "filling" was more like a mushy pit in the bottom (maybe because they were baked in a convection oven?) In spite of these things, they were a big hit! I like the addition of lemon zest to the icing and plan to try it with other recipes. One tip: if you always keep a lemon in the freezer, you can grate off whatever you need (for anything) and it lasts forever."
Carrot Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Just swipe to see more like this.