Skillet Corn Bread4 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“A simple, slightly sweet corn bread made in the versatile cast-iron skillet. Tastes great and is a good base recipe to experiment with. Cast-iron skillets take a little bit of time to warm up. Pre-warming the skillet allows the corn bread to cook evenly.” - by mjgreenaway
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place 9-inch cast-iron skillet in oven to warm it.
- Mix milk and cornmeal together in small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Beat cornmeal mixture, eggs, and butter into the flour mixture until you have a smooth batter, about 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from oven. Swish vegetable oil in the skillet to coat; pour off excess.
- Pour batter into the skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 225 cal
- 9.9 g
- 28.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"I am not expert on cornbread, but I thought this was good. It doesn't crumble in your hand and it isn't sweet, both pluses to me. Thanks for sharing...." See more"
"My family loves this recipe. I've made it twice and the first time I made it exactly as the recipe detailed and it was a hit (especially with the honey butter I made to accompany it). The second tim..." See moree I added 1/4 cup honey to the recipe just to lighten it up a bit. It was still fantastic. This is my go-to corn bread recipe now."
Sweet Corn Bread
Mom's Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.