Cajun Chicken Ragu1 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“This is an old, personal favorite recipe of mine. While not totally authentic, it celebrates the fabulous flavors of Cajun cuisine. Serve this thick sauce over rice.” - by Chef John
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Cook and stir bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
- Return skillet to medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and a pinch of salt until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until bell peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable oil into the onion mixture, sprinkle in flour, and cook until flour is browned and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon black pepper, paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour 1/4 cup of chicken broth into vegetable mixture; cook and stir, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan, until combined. Add remaining broth and Worcestershire sauce. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer until sauce is thick and reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add andouille sausage, chicken, and reserved bacon. Cook until heated hot.
- Remove from heat, stir in green onions, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 510 cal
- 31.3 g
- 20.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"I loved the spice in this Cajun Chicken Ragu however, I felt it needed some flavor on the front end, not sure what though. I just heated up the leftovers for lunch and it was almost better the 2nd ti..." See moreme around. Definitely a keeper for me!"
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
Just swipe to see more like this.