Grandma's Ground Beef Casserole5 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“As the title suggests, this was my Grandmother's recipe. I've tweaked the amount of cheese and sour cream depending on what I've got in the fridge and it always turns out great! My mother has suggested this was made up as a way to use up ingredients in the fridge.” - by MrsWolfie
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Mix sugar, salt, garlic salt and tomato sauce into ground beef; simmer until flavors blend, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover skillet, and cool to room temperature.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Mix sour cream, cream cheese, and onion in a bowl.
- Scoop half the noodles into the prepared casserole dish; top with half the sour cream mixture. Spoon half the ground beef mixture atop sour cream layer. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Top casserole with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until Cheddar cheese has browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 519 cal
- 29.8 g
- 39.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"Update!!! This time I made it with Italian sausage and used just one can of the tomato sauce . Since I was using sausage, I cut the salt in half. I sauteed the onion before mixing it in with the sourc..." See moreream/cream cheese mixture. Topped with mozarella. Great results and I thin I will try it with chorizo and mexican cheeses next time. I can see so many possibilities for grandmas homestyle casserole. I have to add that the review by the "Versatile Foodie" seems hardly fair. She reviewed this as if it was some fine wine or gourmet recipe. This is NOT that kind of recipe and I don't think it has been represented that way. This is just one of those old fashioned simple casseroles that calls for easily attained and simple ingredients. Nothing fancy schmancy, just good stick to the ribs family pleasing casserole. Thanks for sharing LaDonna and Grandma!"
"Found this as I had ground beef already cooking on the stove with a vague idea that I was going to cook SOME kind of casserole. I am always looking for new additions to our weekly routine and this one..." See more fit the bill nicely. I expected it to be a bigger hit with my small children, but my husband and I both enjoyed it immensely. I added canned peas and fresh chopped carrots as well as parsley, and I cooked most of the onion with the beef and only added a small amount to the cheese/sour cream mixture. I will make this again, but sparingly. This is firmly in the comfort food department and can't be very waistline friendly...which is why it tastes so good!"
Michele's Ground Beef Casserole
Barbeque Beef Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.