French Onion Soup VI3 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“A wonderful hearty soup topped with a crunchy seasoned crouton with melted mozzarella cheese. Great for a chilly fall or winter day.” - by JYAUGER
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place beef ribs in a large stock pot over medium heat. Brown on all sides. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove meat and bones to a cutting board to cool. Introduce onions, beef broth and salt to the rib water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- When the bones are cool enough to handle, remove the meat with a knife. Finely chop the meat and add to the soup.
- After an hour of simmering, season the soup with the liquid seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 30 minutes more.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Cut French bread in slices that will fit in your serving bowls. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Place under preheated broiler until browned, 2 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof serving bowls. Lay one crouton over each serving. Top with mozzarella. Place bowls on a sturdy baking sheet and place under broiler to melt cheese, 1 minutes. Serve at once.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 442 cal
- 21.7 g
- 24.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"This does not have the depth of flavor that true onion soup should have. Without slowly browing the onions, it just taste like weak beef broth with a nasty onion taste. Also, classic French Onion so..." See moreup does not have beef in. Sorry, I will try again for a better soup."
"Wow! Beef ribs make such a difference. I highly recommend you try this recipe...." See more"
French Onion Soup IV
Beef Short Rib French Onion Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.