Slow-Cooked German Short Ribs291 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 8 hr 20 min
- Ready In: 8 hr 45 min
“Dust off your slow cooker. This recipe is worth it. I love coming home to a waiting meal!” - by PEG13
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the short ribs with the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs in olive oil.
- In a slow cooker, combine onions, wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chili powder. Mix thoroughly. Transfer the short ribs from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove ribs, and turn the slow cooker control to High. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup water, and stir into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 589 cal
- 46.4 g
- 15.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (291)Rate This Recipe
"Oh. My. Goodness. Just finished eating dinner and it was awesome. I used 4 pounds of short ribs and doubled the sauce on the advice of other reviewers. I did reduce the sugar and would reduce it even ..." See moremore next time. I didn't have any chile sauce so I used ketchup and some hot sauce, a nice dry red wine and half a can of beef broth. Cooked these ribs in my crock pot on high for 2 hours and then on low for about 4 hours. The bones all fell out of the meat and I didn't even need a knife to cut through! Be sure to skim the fat off before you boil the sauce at the end of cooking. Served this with mashed yukon gold potatoes to catch all that yummy gravy and steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Next time I will reduce the sugar a little more and maybe add a bay leaf and some herbs like rosemary and thyme. Can't wait to attack those leftovers tomorrow!"
"I made a few changes to this recipe. Instead of the 1/4 c of water, I used extra red wine. I also only used 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar total. I write this because I doubled the sauce, as others su..." See moreggested, and I strongly suggest doing, as well. Brown the sort ribs in a bit of olive oil before putting them in the slow cooker. We both really liked the way this turned out."
"These are very tasty, with a nice sweet-sour flavor. I wondered about the chili powder in a German recipe, but it was good. I made these for a potluck dinner at church and all that was left were a c..." See moreouple of rib bones and some sauce. I didn't find it necessary to thicken the sauce at the end with the flour-water mixture. Also, I took a hint from another slow cooker recipe for short ribs and cooked these the day before, then refrigerated overnight. All the fat congealed on the top and was easy to remove. I then just reheated for the dinner."
Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Gal-Bi)
Tanya's Boneless Short Ribs
Just swipe to see more like this.