Perogie Casserole23 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 15 min
“This is my family's favorite recipe! Please experiment with the ingredient amounts. Maybe you will want yours extra cheesy! I have used instant potatoes but no comparison to them roasted. Well worth the effort and a wonderful comfort food. Serve with bread and salad-the perfect meal!” - by Sarena
Original recipe yields 7 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Roast potatoes in oven for about 1 hour. Split potatoes and scoop out middle; discard skins. Mix Cheddar cheese into potatoes. In a bowl, blend together cottage cheese, eggs, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Layer lasagna noodles in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread cottage cheese mixture over noodles. Layer noodles again and spread potato and cheese mixture to cover noodles. Smooth top.
- In a skillet, fry bacon until half way cooked. Spread over top of casserole. Sprinkle onions on top. Dot casserole with margarine.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for 45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (7 total)
- 1140 cal
- 62.2 g
- 92.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (23)Rate This Recipe
"I make this recipe all the time but I used mashed potatoes instead of roasted. I use bacon, and I saute a large red onion in tons of butter. I also use loads of cheese. The red onion and bacon add alo..." See moret of flavor. I think the reason it was so bland was because of the roasted potatoes. Good way to use up your left over mashed potatoes from the night before!! I also do not use the eggs, cottage cheese-only the noodles, bacon,mashed potatoes, red onion and tons of butter, also to keep the top of your casserole from getting crusty-try drizzling olive oil on top before you bake it."
"This is a great basic recipe, because it leaves so much room for modifications! I used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, I also just boiled and mashed my taters instead of roasting them. Cut t..." See morehe bacon up and crumbled it on top as opposed to layering strips across the top. I fried one red onion in butter for the top...then when it came out of the oven I scattered chopped green onions on top and drizzled sour cream on top. To me green onions and sour cream go hand in hand with perogies and bacon. The whole family loved it, even the kids wanted seconds!"
"This one gets a 5 out of 5 from our family. Taste is excellent and I, like many others, boil and mash the potatoes to save time. You can do so many variances of this recipe that it never gets boring..." See more. I use DRY cottage cheese instead of regular and I use an extra egg or two. I also have used Italian sausage removed from the casing as an alternate for the bacon. This makes it super yummy and flavourful. This is a recipe that is lengthy in preparation so I usually prepare it early in the day when I have the time, and set it aside to be cooked at supper time."
Leftover Ham -n- Potato Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.