Carrot Raisin Bread or Rolls11 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 40 min
- Ready In: 4 hr
“Rich tasting slightly sweet bread that's great for toast or rolls.” - by dschecht
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x5 inch loaves
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, salt and shortening; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the cooled milk mixture and egg; stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, combine carrots, raisins, 2 cups flour, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Mix together with your fingers until carrots and raisins are coated and separated.
- Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hour.
- Deflate dough and allow to rise again until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. (At this point, you may divide the dough into 12 pieces and form into rolls if you wish.) Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 200 cal
- 2.2 g
- 38.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"I used in a bread machine (for a 2 pound loaf) by following the general directions: ie: wet ingredients first, dry ingredients next and yeast lastly. result was excellent. One suggestion to make is a..." See morefter the dough has kneaded in the machine, cut off about 100 ml. of dough for the 2 pound machine to ensure it doesn't rise past the lid and adversely affect the baking of the centre top. The bread was moist, flavourful and texture was great. I like this recipe even better than regular raisin bread as it was more moist and flavourful."
"I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly what the carrots added. Maybe a little extra sweetness from the natural sugars?... At any rate, the bread is lovely. I only gave it the one rise as a whole lump of..." See more dough before separating it into the loaf tins, and it worked fine. I also substituted 3 cups of whole wheat flour for the white. Lovely fragrant bread was the result, with great texture. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone as it is easy to make and produces excellent results. One thing... the instructions skip the step where you add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients! Not that hard to figure out, but just a wee glitch I noticed."
Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread
Raisin Bread I
Just swipe to see more like this.