Glazed Lemon Bread39 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“My mother makes this recipe every winter when her lemon tree had ripe fruit. A wonderful gift for friends and neighbors during the Christmas season.” - by DELEIGHLA
Original recipe yields 1 - 9x5 inch loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 1 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the lemon peel. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Blend the flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternately with the milk; stir just to combine. Fold in the nuts; mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, dissolve 2 tablespoons sugar in the lemon juice. After loaf has cooled for 10 minutes, spoon glaze over loaf.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 218 cal
- 8.3 g
- 32.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (39)Rate This Recipe
"This is very good. Don't skip the glaze step or you're losing a lot of the lemon flavor! I bake for 45 minutes, remove loaf and brush the top with glaze, return it to the oven for 5 minuets, remove ag..." See moreain and brush with glaze and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. That way the top isn't as wet from the glaze."
"WOW. This was my first time baking a loaf, and I am sooo happy with the results! Taking some other reviewers' advice, I took the bread out at 45 min. to glaze and then returned it to the oven for th..." See moree last 5 or so minutes. I also altered the glaze- I used one tablespoon sugar and one tablespoon honey to make the flaor more interesting. In the batter, I zested an entire lemon, so there was no shortage of lemony flavor. In addition, I cut the sugar to half a cup, used 1/4 cup whole wheat flour just for kicks, replaced the milk with the same amount of pureed orange (more citrus, yum!) and replaced all the butter with applesauce. With so many alterations I was a little unsure when I popped it into the oven, but boy was I wrong to doubt. This recipe is excellent, thank you so much."
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Blueberry Lemon Bread
Just swipe to see more like this.