Swedish Kringles21 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This is a flakey bar type treat that my mom made many times when I was a kid. It is a tasty almond flavored treat that is nice at Christmas-time!” - by Jodie Hay
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To make the dough cut 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup flour using a knife or pastry blender. Add water as needed and mix until crumbly, leaving pea sized chunks. On a floured surface roll the dough out to 3 or 4 inches in width. Place on a rectangular cookie sheet.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup butter to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in flour; mix until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in 1 teaspoon almond extract. Spread over dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes. The pastry will fall a little as it cools.
- Meanwhile, combine confectioners' sugar, cream, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Spread over pastry as soon as it's removed from the oven.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 427 cal
- 27.4 g
- 39.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"You can use milk rather than the heavy cream-it still tastes delicious. Really tastes best if you don't replace the almond extract with any other flavor...." See more"
"This is one of my favorite pastries. It looks & tastes so fancy but is easy to make. I've found 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring is enough both in the 2nd layer & in the frosting. Be sure and mix the water, ..." See morebutter & flour well before adding the eggs in the second layer or you will have a gloppy mess. Also it's probably important to add the eggs one at a time and beat after each. I sometimes take shortcuts in recipes, but this is one you should follow pretty carefully. When I make these I divide the first dough into 2 parts and flatten on an ungreased cookie sheet to make 2 strips three inches wide and the length of the sheet. Then I spread the second layer evenly over each crust. I also use skim milk in the frosting & it turns out great."
"Try boiling 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup butter. Take it off the heat and stir in 1 cup of flour. Add the 3 eggs one at a time stirring inbetween each. Add the almond extract. Spread on the greased..." See more cookie sheet and bake. It cuts out one of the steps and makes it quick and easy to make. Frost and sprinkle with almonds when it is almost cool."
Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka)
Just swipe to see more like this.