Mom's Favorite Baked Mac and Cheese306 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 min
“This is a macaroni and cheese I first made 3 years ago when I was in California. When I got back to Texas I made it for my mom. This is now her favorite baked macaroni and cheese. She begs me to make it when I come to visit.” - by GEPETTO_69
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and American cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 quart baking dish; mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 561 cal
- 33.3 g
- 36.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (306)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe is ok. Its a good starter recipe. I might make it again but next time will leave the onion out. With the onion left it, all it tasted like was onions and I made the recipe as stated. Onion..." See more should never be in Mac and Cheese, to bad I learned the hard way..."
"We made this for Christmas Eve dinner and it was really a hit. Definitely the best home-made mac & cheese I've ever tasted. Can't wait for an excuse to make it again. The sauce turned out incredibl..." See morey well and it baked beautifully. The only thing I would change next time is to cover it for the first half of the cooking, as it got a little dry -- nothing major. The only adjustment we made was to the types of cheeses. We made it with 8 oz white cheddar, 8 oz sharp yellow cheddar, and about 4 oz of mozzerella for smoothness. This blend of cheeses really had a nice bite to it. Will definitely be making this again."
Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.