Classic Candied Sweet Potatoes90 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 min
“This is the classic sweet potato recipe that my grandmother serves each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's very simple, yet each time I make it people rave and ask for the recipe. Embarrassingly simple & quite delicious!” - by MICHELLERENE
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place whole sweet potatoes in a steamer over a couple of inches of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Peel, and slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, brown sugar, water and salt. When the sauce is bubbly and sugar is dissolved, pour over potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, occasionally basting the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar sauce.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 294 cal
- 11.7 g
- 47.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (90)Rate This Recipe
"This was so yummy! I made it for Thanksgiving. I actually cooked the casserole in my crock pot instead of the oven, to save oven space, and it was perfect. I will definitely make this one again!..." See more"
"These were excellent. Based on other reviews, I made some adjustments: used only 1/4 cup water and let the mixture boil for 10 minutes. Next time, I'm not going to add any water at all. I also add..." See moreed a tsp of cinnamon. Excellent. Thank you."
"Fabulous!!!! This is almost exactly my mom's recipe for Thanksgiving sweet potatoes (or Christmas, Easter, etc.) First rate taste, the simple recipes are the best. I just dotted with a bit more butte..." See morer & sprinkled a bit of brown sugar on before baking, it adds some caramelizing (is that a word?)to the tops of some of the potatoes."
Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Just swipe to see more like this.