Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie II69 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“This was our first vegetarian recipe and has withstood the test of time, now one of our staple recipes.” - by souliere
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 1 1/4 cups broth, yeast extract, lentils and barley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine remaining 3/4 cup broth, carrot, onion and walnuts; cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Combine flour and water and stir into carrot mixture; simmer until thickened. Combine carrot mixture with lentil mixture and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over lentil mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 184 cal
- 5.2 g
- 29.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (69)Rate This Recipe
"Excellent Recipe. I didn't have any yeast extract spread, so I substituted nutritional yeast flakes (about 1/4 cup) and it had the same effect. Also, I'm not vegan, so I mashed the potatoes with milk ..." See moreand a little butter to add flavor, and topped with about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese to make a bubbly mess. Also, I added a bunch of frozen green beans to the mix to get more veggies in there. My family (including two kids - 4 and 2) LOVED this, and my husband asked me when I was going to make it again. I served it with oven roasted broccoli (broccoli, olive oil and a little salt put in the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes.) Yum, Yum."
the allrecipes staff
"We have updated this recipe to clarify the yeast extract spread ingredient...." See more"
"Very good and simple. I took the advice of others and cooked lentils/barley for 15 then added carrots and onions to the same pot. Came out great. Also added a bay leaf and oregeno to the lentil mix..." See moreture and cheese between the mixture and mashed pots. My husband had 3 helpings! Note: if you have a family that likes large servings then double the recipe amounts."
Shepherd's Pie Mexicana
Just swipe to see more like this.