Mediterranean Chicken with Eggplant76 Reviews
- Prep: 50 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“I've learned to make this dish from my grandmother who still lives on the shore of the Mediterranean.” - by thepamperedchefny
Original recipe yields 4 to 6 servings
- Place eggplant strips in a big pot of lightly salted water and soak for 30 minutes (this will improve the taste; they will leave a brown color in the pot).
- Remove eggplant from pot and brush lightly with olive oil. Saute or grill until lightly browned and place in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Saute diced chicken and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste and water, cover skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour chicken/tomato mixture over eggplant. Season with oregano, salt and pepper and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 336 cal
- 10.6 g
- 26.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (76)Rate This Recipe
"Here is how to improve the taste of eggplant. Slice it up, then sprinkle salt generously on each side. Set your slices in a bowl or collander. Leave it for about 20 minutes. The eggplant will be c..." See moreovered in "sweat", because it is sweating out the bitterness. Rinse off your eggplant, and cook accordingly. Yes the water that comes off will be sort of brown. This will make the eggplant taste better and will eliminate the unnecessary step of boiling, which will make the eggplant mushy."
"Holy Smokes!!! This was so good and so easy I can hardly believe it!! I did change the way I sweat the eggplants though. I salt them and place them in a colander for 30 minutes with a heavy bowl on..." See more top of the eggplant. Then I rinsed off all the extra salt. I think letting them sit in water would make them too mushy. Other than that...loved this recipe and will make it again. I served this with rice (for my husband) and he loved it as well."
"Great dish if you know what you are doing! I am beginner to cooking with eggplant so I took advice from everyone, sweat the eggplant in a colander,marinated the chicken in balsamic,lemon juice and oli..." See moreve oil and I layered it with ricotta. I think I overdid the cayenne and salt. Anyway wasn't bad for my first try, I topped with an Italian five cheese blend, we eat cheese by the pound at my house so I knew that would go over well. Next time I will get black olives to use in it. I agree use lots of spice."
Mediterranean Puff Pastry Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.