Sauerkraut Sausage Balls12 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 50 min
“This is a delightful appetizer that can be made ahead of time and heated when guests arrive. Spicy pork sausage and beef will never know what hit them when you blend them with sauerkraut and a cream cheese mixture, then deep fry them to mouthwatering golden perfection.” - by GEORGE SONTAG
Original recipe yields 30 - 40 balls
- Place spicy ground pork sausage, onion and dried beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until sausage is evenly brown and onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix sauerkraut, prepared mustard, parsley, cream cheese and garlic salt with the sausage mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place flour in a small bowl. Blend milk and egg together in another small bowl. Place seasoned bread crumbs in a medium bowl.
- Roll the chilled sausage mixture into 1 inch balls. Dredge sausage balls one at a time in flour, the egg and milk mixture and the bread crumbs.
- In small batches deep fry sausage balls in the preheated oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm, or freeze for later use.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 419 cal
- 31 g
- 24.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"These were outstanding! I took them to a church function and was asked over and over for the recipe! The only tip I would offer is...do not skip the egg wash step. I just rolled the balls in bread cru..." See morembs at first, but when I fried the first one it didn't do well. The sauerkraut sort of unraveled around the outside of the ball and tried to burn. I just dipped them in the egg/milk mixture and then back into the bread crumbs. They came out perfectly. They just seem to need the egg to hold them together well for frying. But an excellent recipe. It's easy to make and is a real crowd pleaser. This recipe is one I will reach for over and over again. Many thanks!"
Mom's Cooking Now!
"You've never tasted anything like this! I was looking for a unique appetizer, and this one hit the spot. I didn't think they were too time-consuming at all - especially after all the rave reviews!..." See more"
Easy Sausage Cheese Balls
Just swipe to see more like this.