Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Suan T'ien Niu Jou Po Lo La Tzu)56 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“I grew up in Japan, and my Mother got this recipe from some Catholic nuns there during the 50's. It's been a family favorite ever since. If you're a vegetarian, try this sauce with vegetables only. It's wonderful that way also!” - by QUIKSMYLE
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, cornstarch, salt, diced onion and pepper. Form into 1 inch meatballs; about 20.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meatballs; drain fat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Pour in the pineapple juice and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar and water. Stir until smooth and pour into the pineapple juice. Add the sugar and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Place the meatballs, pineapple pieces, green pepper, carrot and onion into the sauce mixture. Heat thoroughly.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 341 cal
- 15.1 g
- 37.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (56)Rate This Recipe
"This was great but I made it a little better. First the sauce must be a clear color and takes over the flavor of the meat. The meat also needed a little help. This is what I did. For the meatballs..." See more, I added 1 TBS of Worcestershire Sauce and used 1 TBS Arrowroot instead of the other starches because there is no flavor and it is clear. For the sauce, I substituted again Arrowroot for the other starch mixture for a clear and no aftertaste thickener. I also changed the 1/2 cup sugar to 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup Brown sugar and I added 1 TBS Lemon Juice for tartness. This turned out clean, clear with a lot of sweet/sour flavor. My family of 62 people, all home styled Chefs thought it was great. I married a Russian. Need I say more?"
"This was pretty good. I did make some changes. I was leary about putting cornstarch in the meatballs so I substituted dry bread crumbs. Instead of frying the meatballs I cooked them in the oven. For t..." See morehe sauce I doubled the soy, pineapple juice and vinegar. I replaced the fresh pineapple with red bell pepper. All and all it came out good and I also served it over rice."
Lana's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Sweet and Sour Meatballs I
Just swipe to see more like this.