Bishop's Bread II6 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 20 min
“Great for gifts. Make ahead and freeze for later. Rich and tasty!” - by Lovesmurfs
Original recipe yields 2 - 9x5 inch loaves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. In a third bowl, combine the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla extract and maraschino cherry juice.
- Stir the milk mixture and flour mixture alternately into the egg mixture until a soft batter is formed. Fold in cherries, chocolate chips, dates, coconut and pecans. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 to 120 minutes, until loaves are firm and a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 507 cal
- 25.1 g
- 71.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"After trying this last Thanksgiving, I made loaves and loaves at Christmastide to take to parties and give as gifts. EVERYONE RAVES about this bread! Very pretty plated, unusual so it stands out fro..." See morem the standard cookies. I cannot recommend this enough! Christine from Texas"
"A little disappointing, but I may try it again. It had a bit of a flour-y taste so next time I may use a little almond extract to enhance the cherry flavor. Also, my oven baked this in more like an ..." See morehour not the hour & half or more that the recipe called for. However, I got 3 loaves out of this instead of 2 (..even though I measured my pans and made sure they were 9x5); so if you used bigger loaf pans and got only 2 loaves you might need the extra baking time. Also, mine came out a little crumbly and dry. Maybe it needs more butter or eggs ???"
Cantaloupe Bread with Praline Glaze
Just swipe to see more like this.