Paula's Polenta with Mushroom Topping17 Reviews
- Prep: 5 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“This is a great veggie recipe that can be eaten as a meal or prepared for an appetizer. Even my meat and potatoes husband enjoys it.” - by PAULA SELLERS
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- In a heavy saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil with salt and pepper. Slowly pour in cornmeal, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Using a wet spatula spoon the cornmeal mixture (polenta) 1/2 inch thick onto a sheet of wax paper. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to broil. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms, onion, garlic and herbs in the hot oil until mushrooms are tender.
- Cut cooled polenta into squares and place on prepared baking sheet. Broil until browned on both sides. Serve with mushroom sauce.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 283 cal
- 14.6 g
- 34.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (17)Rate This Recipe
"I can't rate this because I changed way too much from the recipe. Like others who've rated the recipe, I find polenta to be very bland. So while cooking it for this recipe, I added to the water-cornm..." See moreeal mixture: salt, pepper, minced garlic, ground cumin, whole cumin seeds that I'd toasted in a pan, chile powder, and onion powder. In addition to the mushroom topping in this recipe, I also had a pico de gallo-style topping, and a garlic onion tomato sauce topping. I made a pile of lightly-steamed spinach in the center of each plate, placed several polenta slices on the spinach and garnished them only with a little coarse pepper and salt, and some sprigs of cilantro. Then I made small piles of each type of topping in an array around the polenta so that toppings could be added as prefered by the consumer. This went over really well and got rave reviews - the first time we've had polenta and liked it!"
"This recipe worked great when I doubled it to make 8 servings. I also used some Shittake mushrooms which brought a rich flavor to the sauce. Another tip, it was difficult to transfer the cut polenta..." See more from the wax paper since I accidentally cut through the wax paper when I was slicing the squares. The waxpaper stuck to the polenta. So I just lifted it with teh wax paper and flipped it over when I put it on the baking sheet and then peeled off the wax paper. This worked well for me. This is a savory recipe."
Cream of Mushroom Soup II
Barley Mushroom Risotto
Just swipe to see more like this.