Johnny Cake6 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 min
“This is a very old time recipe. My great grandparents used to eat this in a bowl with milk on it.” - by EDSELS1959
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Sift cornmeal and flour together and spread thinly on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal mixture, salt, sugar and baking powder. Pour in shortening and milk; stir to blend.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg white until stiff. In a third bowl, beat egg yolk then fold into egg white. Gently stir flour mixture into beaten egg. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 81 cal
- 2.6 g
- 12.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"Easy recipe with a great reward!..." See more"
"My first review didn't show up, so here it goes again! I found almost the exact same recipe for this but it was made into pancakes! I loved it! It had double the amount of milk and I used honey instea..." See mored of sugar. I mixed all the ingredients together and cooked it on a griddle, just like pancakes...also called 'Johnny Cakes'... I served it with a fried egg ontop and sprinkled it with bacon salt and green onions, as you can see in my photo! We loved it!"
Fluffy Cake Doughnuts
Just swipe to see more like this.