Southwestern Egg Rolls995 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 12 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 32 min
“These aren't traditional egg rolls! Small flour tortillas are stuffed with an exciting blend of Southwestern-style ingredients, then deep fried until golden brown.” - by Jackie
Original recipe yields 5 servings
- Rub 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
- Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
- Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high approximately 1 minute, or until hot and pliable.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with toothpicks. Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 419 cal
- 31.2 g
- 21.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (995)Rate This Recipe
"I followed this recipe exactly, except I baked these at 450 degrees for 10 minutes instead of frying, and skipped the freezing part. I have also halved the cheese and doubled the spinach on some batc..." See morehes to make them a little healthier. Very good this way too. At others' suggestion, I served this with "Amy's Cilantro Cream Sauce" from this site. These were excellent and healthier than the original recipe. Very yummy!! Next time, I plan to add avocado to the rolls right before rolling. I think they'll be even better. :) "
"Great recipe. Family acutally preferred the tortilla vs egg roll wrappers. If you want to serve the sauce a chain made famous for these egg rolls, mix: 1/4 cup smashed, fresh avocado (about half of ..." See morean avocado), 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tbs buttermilk, 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp dried parsley, 1/8 tsp onion powder, dash dried dill weed, dash garlic powder, dash pepper. Let the flavors set up overnight prior to serving as it makes the sauce so much better. Enjoy!"
"Sweet fancy Moses these are yummy! I tripled the ingredients and placed the filling in egg roll wrappers and ended up with about 2 dozen rolls. I baked them and served them with another reviewer's t..." See moreip on a dipping sauce-the sour cream and salsa mixture. These were incredible! I plan on making more this week and freezing them. One note about freezing these-par bake them prior to popping them in the freezer so the egg roll wrapper doesn't break down. I can't wait to make (and eat!) these again. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!"
Awesome Egg Rolls
Best Egg Rolls
Just swipe to see more like this.